How Strong is the Pull of the Past? Measuring Personal Nostalgia Evoked by Advertising
University of Washington, Tacoma
Old Dominion University
- Advertising evoked personal nostalgia is multi-dimensional: past imagery, positive emotions, negative emotions and physiological reactions.
- It has a positive impact on attitudes towards the advertisement, bonding with the focal brand and brand choice.
- Nostalgic advertisements work better than non-nostalgic advertising, even among less loyal consumers.
- Effective nostalgic advertisements need to evoke images from the past; conjure up positive emotions and physiological reactions; and curtail the negative emotions associated with nostalgia.
- This scale can be used diagnostically to gauge how effectively the advertisement evokes the various dimensions of nostalgia.