St.George Bank: Enter the Dragon
Advertiser: St.George Bank
Author: Melissa Chaw and Mark Sareff
Total Campaign Expenditure: Under $500K
Strategic communications challenge
St.George ran a successful Term Deposit (TD) campaign targeting the Chinese/Vietnamese community over the mid-Autumn Moon Festival in September 2011. So they asked us to help them repeat the exercise tor Chinese/Lunar New Year 2012 expecting the same success except:
- In 2011 they offered 5.90%; the new campaign had a lower interest rate – 5.80%
- The budget was increased but only from – still very small (budget was inclusive of media, production and all agency fees).
- We had relative 'clear air' over September 2011, whereas Chinese/Lunar New Year is the most competitive and cluttered period in ethnic media -just about every advertiser feels compelled to speak to (yell at) these communities at the same time. It would be very hard to be heard through the noise.
- The sales target had to be met using only the branches that best reached the Chinese/Vietnamese communities.
- We have nothing like the clout of the Big 4 banks and stood to be drowned out as every bank was turning its attention to targeting the Chinese/Vietnamese community.