Ahead of the release from next week of the WARC Rankings 2020, based on the results from award shows tracked throughout 2019, WARC has introduced an Advisory Board to ensure the three Rankings – Creative 100, Media 100, Effective 100 – remain in line with changes to the industry.
Made up of industry leaders from advertising agencies, media agencies, consultancies and brands, the WARC Rankings Advisory Board provides expert opinion and independent guidance ensuring the WARC Rankings remain current, relevant and service the needs of the marketing communications industry.
WARC Rankings Advisory Board
The 23-strong Board includes names from both advertisers and agencies:
• Adrian Mills, Partner - Creative, Brand & Advertising, Deloitte Digital Australia
• Alexander Schill, Global Chief Creative Officer and Partner, Serviceplan Group
• Andrew Robertson, President and CEO, BBDO Worldwide
• Ari Weiss, Chief Creative Officer, DDB Worldwide
• Avril Canavan, Worldwide Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, PHD
• Berta de Pablos-Barbier, Chief Growth Officer, Mars Wrigley
• Bruno Bertelli, Global Chief Creative Officer, Publicis Worldwide
• Chrissie Hanson, Chief Strategy Officer, OMD Worldwide
• Dick Van Motman, Former Global CEO Creative & Content, Dentsu Aegis Network / Founder, Plain Vanilla Ventures
• Greg Brooks, Global Chief Marketing & Culture Officer, Mindshare
• Joanne Brenner, Global Head of Marketing, Mediacom
• John Patroulis, Worldwide Chief Creative Officer, Grey Group
• Jose Miguel Sokoloff, Global President, MullenLowe Group Creative Council & Chief Creative Officer, MullenLowe Group UK
• Kestrel Lee, Executive Creative Director, China, Freeman
• Lauren Lafranz, Managing Director, Global Creative Operations, VMLY&R
• Liz Taylor, Global Chief Creative Officer, Leo Burnett Worldwide & Chief Creative Officer, Publicis Communications, North America
• Malcolm Poynton, Global Chief Creative Officer, Cheil Worldwide
• Piyush Pandey, Chief Creative Officer Worldwide & Executive Chairman India, Ogilvy
• Richard Yu, Regional Chief Creative Officer, Greater China, ADK
• Rob Reilly, Global Creative Chairman, McCann Worldgroup
• Sir Martin Sorrell, Executive Chairman, S4 Capital
• Tom DiSapia, Chief Strategy Officer, UM EMEA
• Vicki Holgate, Effective Creative Excellence Director, Diageo
WARC Rankings methodology
Additionally, following industry advice, the methodology to compile the WARC Rankings has been honed and brought to the forefront to highlight transparency and provide more clarity.
There are three main steps to compile the WARC Rankings:
1. Select the right shows and weight them: to determine the most prestigious and rigorous shows, WARC annually surveys industry executives and consults with senior executives across advertising and media agencies, and brands. Shows are weighted between 1 and 5 based on a number of factors including the industry standing of the show and level of competition.
2. Assign points: Points are assigned to the campaigns and companies behind them, determined by the level of the award: Grand Prix (10), Gold (6), Silver (4), Bronze (2).
3. Calculate the scores: Campaigns, agencies and brands which are credited in the published winners lists, accumulate points using: award points x weighting. Caps apply to the accumulation of these points in order to level the playing field across the different sized shows.
For a detailed methodology for each of the three Rankings, please see Creative 100, Media 100, Effective 100
Award shows tracked for the WARC Rankings 2020
Each year, the award shows tracked to compile the WARC Rankings are reviewed to ensure that they reflect the needs of the industry and fulfil the purpose of the Rankings. This year’s WARC Rankings due out next week, have been compiled by tracking the most important global and regional award shows of 2019 according to the industry. In order of overall show weighting, they are as follows:
WARC Creative 100
• Global: (1) Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, (2=) D&AD, (2=) The One Show, (4) Clio Awards, (5) London International Awards (LIA)
- APAC: Spikes Asia, Adfest
- Europe: Eurobest, Golden Drum
- Middle East & Africa: Dubai Lynx, Loeries
- Latam: El Ojo de Iberoamérica
WARC Media 100
• Global: (1) Cannes Lions (media categories), (2) Festival of Media, (3) Effies (media categories), (4) M&M Awards, (5) WARC Media Awards, (6) Adweek Media Plan of the Year, (7) Internationalist Awards, (8) I-COM Data Creativity Awards, (9) MMA Smarties, (10) World Media Awards, (11) D&AD (media categories)
- APAC: Spikes Asia (media categories), Tangrams, Festival of Media APAC, MMA Smarties APAC, Effie APAC plus local markets (media categories)
- Europe: Eurobest (media categories), IAB Mixx Awards Europe, MMA Smarties Europe, EACA Euro Effie plus local markets (media categories), Campaign Media Awards
- Middle East & Africa: Dubai Lynx (media categories), Loeries (media categories), MMA Smarties MENA, Effie MENA plus local markets (media categories)
- LATAM: El Ojo de Iberoamerica (media categories), MMA Smarties LATAM, Effie LATAM plus local markets (media categories)
- North America: MMA Smarties North America, Effie North America plus local markets (media categories)
WARC Effective 100
• Global: (1=) Effies, (1=) Cannes Lions (creative effectiveness & creative strategy categories), (3) IPA Effectiveness Awards, (4) WARC Awards, (5) Jay Chiat Awards, (6) APG Creative Strategy Awards, (7) AME Awards, (8) ARF David Ogilvy Awards
- APAC: Effie APAC (plus local market Effies), Tangrams (effectiveness categories), WARC Prize for Asian Strategy
- Europe: EACA Euro Effies (plus local market Effies), Premios Eficacia (Portugal & Spain)
- Middle East & Africa: Effie MENA (plus local market Effies), WARC Prize for MENA Strategy, Loeries (effectiveness categories)
- LATAM: Effie LATAM (plus local market Effies)
- North America: Effie North America (plus local market Effies)
The WARC Rankings 2020 will be released from next week. Register your interest here.
Sourced from WARC