Background: The Importance of Measuring and Nurturing Stakeholder Relationships
Institute of Waste Management of Southern Africa (IWMSA)
The IWMSA is a membership based organisation that is committed to protecting the environment and people of southern Africa by:
- Contributing to improving waste management standards and legislation
- Fostering communication between all stakeholders in the waste industry
- Promoting best practices and trends for waste management, both locally and internationally
Why are good stakeholder relationships important?
The waste management industry is a fast changing landscape, with leaps in technology advancements and frequently amended legislation.
A good reputation helps the IWMSA to:
- Remain profitable by attracting and retaining members.
- Solidify its position as central body to get up-to-date waste information and training.
- Enhance itself as a credible liaison between different waste industry stakeholders.
The Reputation Matters Approach: Why Research?
- To determine perception
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of how key stakeholders see you
- To determine key messages
- What stakeholders want to hear about and which channels to use
- To build relationships
- Through effective communication
- To achieve your purpose and build your bottom line!