The Programmatic Primer: Demand-side platforms (DSPs) in the online advertising ecosystem
This article is part of The Programmatic Primer, Warc's essential guide for advertisers to the latest online advertising techniques. The report includes detailed advice on how to work with companies in the online advertising ecosystem, plus use cases of programmatic in action. View a PDF version.
Need to know: Demand-side Platforms (DSPs)
- Demand-side platforms (DSPs) give the advertiser a way to buy on multiple criteria, using automated decision parameters and data, via impression-by-impression bidding.
- The key differentiators between DSPs have to do with:
- Scope of inventory
- Speed of the infrastructure (which translates to bid win rates/reach)
- Agility and robustness of optimization
- Comprehensiveness and depth of measurement
- Ability to handle mobile and video
- Scope of data available, and willingness to run performance campaigns based on various criteria.
- There is a high overlap between Networks and DSPs, with networks being more service focused and DSPs being more technology focused.