The Programmatic Primer: Data management platforms (DMPs), data suppliers and data aggregators in the online advertising ecosystem
This article is part of The Programmatic Primer, Warc's essential guide for advertisers to the latest online advertising techniques. The report includes detailed advice on how to work with companies in the online advertising ecosystem, plus use cases of programmatic in action. View a PDF version.
Need to know: Data Management Platforms (DMPs), Data Suppliers and Data Aggregators
- Data is essential to the online advertising ecosystem, but buyers should understand the pedigree of the data they are buying.
- Collectors harvest huge amounts of data. Aggregators establish the meaning of that data and DMPs create profiles available to real-time transactions.
- DMPs can integrate data from any source to provide other decision criteria for bidders, as long as they get an ID match. The Holy Grail of data management is a 'persistent ID'.
- Most programmatic decisions are data driven. Persistent identity is the gold in the programmatic gold rush.
- Data gathered by DMPs can also be used for research and development insights.
- Targeting data sometimes is worth more than the media impression it targeted.
- Differentiation is a big issue for DMPs. The next biggest issues are innovation and obsolescence. Everyone has access to technology.
- The functions of many players in this space overlap.