PizzaExpress has been delighting customers with its iconic range since 1965, adapting and growing to meet the ever-changing needs of customers. The recent challenge, however, was continued growth against a backdrop of sector-wide pressures in an increasingly competitive market. In order to optimise a key touchstone in the customer journey, PizzaExpress collaborated with Linney to research and re-engineer its menus with a customer focus.
The goals were:
- To improve the experience for customers so that it's easier to navigate the menu.
- To encourage sales of customer favourites.
- Review the current menu design using eye-tracking and in-depth interviews.
- Create hypotheses and design five menu alternatives that could solve the issues identified.
- Test all menus in an online quantitative platform to predict sales, and repeat eye-tracking and in-depth interviews from stage 1 with new customers.
- Assess the metrics and performance of the new menus against the original control and suggest a final design recommendation for rollout.