The power of brand properties

David Taylor

In the increasingly cluttered world in which we negotiate our shopping, the logos, colours and designs of familiar brands act as welcome signposts through the chaos of the modern supermarket. This article argues that the properties a brand has built up over years are precious assets and changing them can be very risky.

The importance of brand properties, such as logos, slogans and colours, was vividly illustrated in a recent global survey we did with marketing directors from different sectors and countries1. A whopping 83% of respondents said such properties are extremely important in creating strong brands, with the remaining 17% saying they are important.

However, the same survey suggests that poor management of these assets risks destroying valuable brand equity. Most companies lack a proper system for measuring their brand properties versus the competition, meaning that changes to them are made on judgement, often triggered by a change in marketing director.