- Best agency practice in the creative advertising-development process follows the canons of rhetoric, with creativity occurring at any of these stages.
- Creativity often is viewed narrowly as applying ideation techniques, but in keeping with rhetoric theory, it spans the whole advertising-development process.
- Creative ideation techniques are a version of classical rhetoric’s figures of speech but still need to be used in combination for skillful execution of ideas.
- Message-strategy development already is practiced in advertising, but rhetoric theory lays out aspects it needs to address.
- Academics have much to offer managers about the role of executional factors, but this is only one canon, or arrangement, and academics need to do more comprehensive work to embrace creativity better in all its forms.