Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning are playing an ever-larger role in guiding consumers toward purchases online and even in stores.
But Brian Gill, senior vice president/technology at Nordstrom, the fashion retailer, told delegates at the 2018 Shop.org conference that his company believes AI and smart algorithms still fall short when it comes to consumer interaction.
“We absolutely do not want to sacrifice any of the customer experience,” Gill said about the company’s approach to integrating such technology into its marketing and sales.
Nordstrom’s identity, he continued, is built around a high level of service and a rich, personal shopping experience. Those values remain the company’s “North Star” even as it selectively adopts AI and machine learning.
What else does this article talk about?
- Customer relationship management
- United States
- Department stores
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Interested in seeing what other marketing challenges WARC covers?
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.