Mars Inc. is an expert at making sweet treats and wholesome family foods – and is just as focused on developing the perfect recipe for responsible marketing.
Rob Rakowitz, global head/media at Mars – the manufacturer of candy offerings like M&M’s, Snickers, Twix and Milky Way, Wrigley gum, Dolmio sauces and Uncle Ben’s rice – is tasked with achieving both of these goals as he stewards a global budget topping $1.4 billion.
While many companies have an internal brand-building playbook to draw upon, Mars has gone a step further in breaking down the ethical considerations that are intended to underpin all of its consumer-oriented messaging.
“We have the Mars Marketing Code,” Rakowitz explained at a session held by WPP Group, the holding company, during the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. “It's about responsible advertising and making sure that some of the products that we market – specifically confectionery, specifically human food – is marketed in a responsible way.”
What else does this article talk about?
- Auditing & evaluating agencies
- Stereotyping & portrayal
- Advertising regulation
- Marketing to children
- Brand safety
Interested in seeing what other marketing challenges WARC covers?
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.