Volkswagen Canada: Where's Sportswagon?
We launched the All-New 2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon into the highly competitive compact vehicle segment. Wagons deliver the utility customers want, but they lack the broader appeal of an SUV. How could we lead a potential customer to purchase within this underappreciated wagon segment?
Objective of the Campaign:
This campaign was designed to shatter perceptions of what a wagon from Volkswagen could be - and of course, to create a demand and sell Golf Sportwagon vehicles out of the gate. Our core targets were current and lapsed Volkswagen and competitor wagon owners as well as compact vehicle (i.e. Golf) and SUV owners. To give the Sportwagon's features a national audience and help it make a name for itself among potential buyers, we created the "Where's Sportwagon" contest. In a digital scavenger hunt, we hid Golf Sportwagon vehicles across 5 regions and told Canadians to go hunting. One lucky winner (prize: a golf Sportwagon, of course!) would be drawn from all those who participated by finding the Sportwagon vehicles and bonus items hidden on the map. While earning entries towards the grand prize, participants would discover the Sportwagon features and benefits that deliver the utility and performance they're looking for. "Where's Sportwagon" participants could also learn more at vw.ca and book a test drive at a local dealership guaranteed to have a Sportwagon. With the campaign microsite as a content hub and transactional springboard, we drove web traffic via:
- Targeted DM and email to current and lapsed wagon, Golf and SUV owners
- Robust Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram plan
- Twitter promoted #FindSportwagon/#TrouvezSportwagon trend
- Twitter cards and Facebook link posts for optimized click-through
- Display ads
- Activations in major markets (Toronto and Montreal events + presence at Edmonton Motorshow)
- Dealer POS, energizing the campaign and fostering the opportunity to experience with the vehicle