Driving a segmentation into media requires both art and science.
Data-driven planning and addressable media are changing the face of targeting, but a lot of media consumption remains "non-personally identifiable". This has a big influence on brand outcomes in a broader media ecosystem.
Although data from disparate sources is increasingly used and combined to understand the profile of available audiences, and to build reach from a seed universe, engaging those audiences still requires real human understanding and creative thinking.
This guide talks a lot about data-driven planning, but the principles of driving a segmentation into media are very much the same as they have always been:
- Clarify the segmentation strategy and its business value.
- Don't let the media tail wag the dog.
- Describe the consumer segment effectively.
- Understand the available data, analytics and audience technology.
- Embrace a range of targeting techniques according to media and task.
- Employ an audience and response expert.