It's a simple human truth that if someone says they are going to do something and don't follow through with an action, we tend to lose respect and trust them less. It's the same for brands whose words today are hollower than ever before without actions. Consumers see through brands: they want interaction; they want to participate; they want to create; they want purposeful, meaningful and entertaining brands; they want an experience.
At the beginning of RPM's 24-year history, the agency was seen somewhat as the hippies in the marketing industry, but in the age of the Experience Economy, we are seeing more creative pointing to the experiential space. Experiential marketing today is all about creating brand actions and going beyond what straplines can only say. Brands are defining themselves more and more by actions – from those that are inherent to the brand's DNA, or to more abstract areas of passion and social purpose. The Meaningful Brands study by Havas Group claims people wouldn't care if 74% of the brands they use just disappeared, and that 75% of us expect brands to make more of a contribution to our wellbeing and quality of life, yet only 40% believe brands are doing so. Experiential is a very credible channel for creating meaningful connections and bringing to life the actions that define a brand.
What else does this article talk about?
- Experiential marketing
- User generated content & participation
- United Kingdom
- Brand & customer experience
Interested in seeing what other marketing challenges WARC covers?
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.