The story behind the campaign
Over the past few decades, the State Government of Victoria, Australia has been instrumental in reducing the road death toll from 1,061 in 1971 to 252. But Victorians are starting to see the road toll as a problem solved. The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) wanted to educate Victoria about the human body’s vulnerability to the forces of a road vehicle crash. An understanding of vulnerability can influence not just one behaviour like speeding, but every decision made: the way we drive, the cars we buy, clicking on a seatbelt or not. But to challenge apathy, this couldn’t be a sober science lesson. TAC had to make a statement that couldn’t be ignored or easily forgotten.
‘Graham’ is part art-piece, part science-lesson, and a catalyst for conversation. He is an interactive, life-like sculpture that shows just how the human body would need to change to survive a crash. ‘Graham’ was created by renowned Victorian artist Patricia Piccinini in collaboration with trauma surgeon Dr. Christian Kenfield and crash investigator Dr. David Logan. These specialists drew from research, insight and decades of experience to inspire the process and ultimately deliver a piece of art that is underpinned by evidence. Eight different body parts were redesigned with each new feature housing a lesson on how the body experiences trauma. ‘Graham’ has a flat skull, a barrel-like chest, abrasion proof skin and air-bag-like ‘nipples’.
What else does this article talk about?
- Government, social policy
Interested in seeing what other marketing challenges WARC covers?
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.