Dove: Real Beauty Sketches
Agency: Ogilvy Brasil São Paulo
This case study was most read on Warc in 2015. Read other popular content on Warc.
Only 4% of women believe they're beautiful. How to inspire the other 96% to feel the same?
A decade after Campaign for Real Beauty started Dove wanted to modernize its mission. In a radical strategic shift, Dove evolved the social debate beyond beauty stereotypes to address the new enemy to feeling beautiful — a women's inner beauty critic. The goal was to re-engage women, re-ignite the masterbrand halo, and ultimately to drive value sales by reinforcing Dove's emotional relevance in women's lives.
Our idea was to show women they were more beautiful than they think. We used a FBI trained sketch artist to draw women according to their own self-description, and then according to a stranger's description of her. The results were startling. In every case, the stranger's portrait was more beautiful and true than her self-description. The experiment was captured in a 6 minute online film, and the side by side portraits were exhibited as a print and outdoor.