Record number of hours spent on mobile in 2021: Report | WARC | The Feed
You didn’t return any results. Please clear your filters.
Record number of hours spent on mobile in 2021: Report
Mobile continues to dominate as consumers spent a record total of 3.8 trillion hours on mobile in 2021, with 4.8 hours a day spent on mobile in the top 10 mobile markets, according to App Annie’s State of Mobile 2022 report, which lists the global trends.
Why it matters
As consumers continue to embrace a mobile lifestyle, it is seen as the go-to device of the future, with the big screen slowly being replaced by mobile as it continues to break records in categories such as time spent, downloads and revenue.
- Consumers spent $170 billion on apps – up 19% from last year – and downloads continue growing at 5% year-on-year to 230 billion.
- Publishers released 2 million new apps and games, bringing the cumulative total to 21 million.
- Despite IDFA (Identifier for Advertisers), ad spend topped $295 billion, up 23% and seen rising to $350 billion next year.
- Mobile gaming grew to $116 billion – an increase of 15% – fuelled by preference to hyper casual.
- Apps earning more than $100 million in consumer spend grew by 20%.
- Led by TikTok (up 90% globally outside China), 7 of every 10 minutes was spent on either social, photo and/or video apps.
- Worldwide consumer spend on dating apps surged past $4.2 billion (up 55% from 2019).
- Time in shopping apps reached 100 billion hours – up 18%, led by fast fashion, social shopping, and by big box players.
- Food and drink apps hit a new milestone at 194 billion sessions in 2021 (up 50% Y-o-Y).
“Mobile brings us closer together whether virtual or in person. The future will be based on an immersive entertainment experience you create. You won’t watch movies, you’ll star in them.” – Theodore Krantz, CEO, App Annie.
Email this content