How El Pollo Loco hit over six billion views on TikTok | WARC | The Feed
You didn’t return any results. Please clear your filters.
How El Pollo Loco hit over six billion views on TikTok
Restaurant chain El Pollo Loco generated over six billion views on TikTok with its ‘Abuela Approved’ campaign, a viral hit that deepened its connection to younger consumers.
Why it matters
TikTok boasts a large Gen Z audience that view short-form videos not only for entertainment purposes, but also for discovering new brands and discovering product information. Successful TikTok campaigns illustrate an understanding of Gen Z habits and how to cater to the granular needs of this demographic.
- El Pollo Loco had traditionally used channels like TV as part of a multi-generational marketing strategy.
- In 2020, the brand started using TikTok as a way to reach a younger audience that were engaged on the video-sharing platform.
- Launched in 2022, the ‘Abuela Approved’ TikTok campaign was focused around a comedic grandmother known as ‘Head Abuela in Charge’.
- This character voiced her opinions on a wide range of topics, but was consistent in her love for the items on El Pollo Loco’s menu.
- The campaign hashtag generated over six billion views.
The big idea
“We brought in the matriarch of all Latino families that can be quite a character and used her to create amazing content for our channels. It did exceptionally well for us, especially with a younger audience” – Gabe Alonso, El Pollo Loco’s VP of Digital Marketing, speaking at AdExchanger’s 2023 Industry Preview conference.
Email this content