Gen-Z Indians are following their own paths | WARC | The Feed
You didn’t return any results. Please clear your filters.
Gen-Z Indians are following their own paths
Millennial lifestyles & attitudes India
Gen-Z, the digital native generation that is coming of age in a pandemic world, shows how these last few years are changing people; new research from MTV and Viacom18 in India sheds light on the changes.
Why it matters
Based on a survey of 26,000 respondents between the ages of 15 and 25 across 50 Indian cities, the study, Atmanirbhar by Circumstance – or roughly ‘self-reliant by circumstance’ – uncovers how careers and money are front of mind, marriage is declining in popularity, and the proliferation of connected devices is boosting Indian youth’s belief that they can look after themselves.
- Money really matters. For 46% of respondents, money is all that matters, up from 21% in 2019. 46% said they would rather focus on being rich and successful instead of living a meaningful life, up from 25% in 2019.
- Side hustles and passion projects. A significant majority (70%) of respondents felt side hustles are their real chance at fame. Over a fifth (21%) of Gen-Z place more importance on following passions than having a stable job, up from 9% in 2016.
- Love isn’t what it used to be. 25% said they don’t believe in marriage, up from 10% in 2019 and 8% in 2016. Just 13% said they are in a committed relationship, down from 26% in 2019.
- Political, but only online. While 83% of respondents have political conversations with friends, there is little appetite for on-the-ground events.
- Mobile devices impact on content. Two thirds (67%) said streaming apps allowed them to watch the content of their choice without having to pretend or fear being judged.
- Family, friends, faith. Half (52%) attributed their happiness to their family, up from 42%in 2019. Six in ten (62%) said being spiritual gave them clarity in a confusing world; seven in ten (70%) felt greater control after prayer.
- Self-satisfaction. Three quarters (74%) said DIY during the lockdown has now grown to become a habit and 82% were prouder and more confident about themselves after completing DIY tasks.
Sourced from MTV/Viacom18
Email this content