Braun Büffel powers ahead in DTC play | WARC | The Feed
You didn’t return any results. Please clear your filters.
Braun Büffel powers ahead in DTC play
When Braun Büffel, a German manufacturer of high quality leather goods, saw traditional retail declining it took decisive action and is now powering towards having half of its sales via direct channels within a five-year period.
Why it matters
A family-owned business, historically reliant on sales through third-party brick-and-mortar stores, has been able to pivot rapidly towards a DTC model – from 14% of turnover in 2018, to 30% in 2021 and a target 50% by 2023 – while keeping existing retailers on side and also aiming for a sixfold increase in sales over the same period.
- Define your goals. Braun Büffel identified five: better brand positioning, improved brand building and visibility, greater independence from wholesalers and specialist stores, DTC activities should support existing customers, cultural change within the company.
- Clear analysis is crucial. By figuring out what was important on the purchase journey, Braun Büffel discovered new details about its digital customers – younger and more female than brick-and-mortar stores – that enabled it to develop services like a gift selector that would encourage repeat purchase.
- Don’t neglect traditional outlets. The company created content, such as its Leather Compendium, that was of interest to both retailers and end-consumers.
- Work together. Braun Büffel shares insights with retailers (eg buyer characteristics, best selling products) and tests products in its own channels before offering them to wholesale customers, so reducing risk for them.
- Don’t worry about cannibalisation – the company has found it is serving different target groups on the web than in its traditional business.
“Culture and mindset is key … the digital transformation is a matter for the CEO, so you can’t delegate this. Support your team in the process and learn from them” – Christiane Brunk, CEO at Braun Büffel.
Sourced from dmexco
Email this content