European broadcaster RTL Group insists it has no intention of offloading its majority stake in British TV station Five.

Forthcoming relaxation of UK media law would allow newspaper groups and firms from outside the European Union to buy Five, the country’s smallest terrestrial channel. Critics of the Communications Bill fear it will lead to a takeover by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation.

However, RTL chief executive Gerhard Zeiler has vowed to keep the group’s 65% stake in the station – and add to it if possible. The other 35% is held by Lord Clive Hollick’s United Business Media.

“We are not sellers of Five,” Zeiler declared. “If [Hollick] wants to sell, he would want to get more than one party interested – and we would definitely want to be in there.”

Data sourced from: Financial Times; additional content by WARC staff