NEW DEHLI: Major multinational companies continued to place their trust in television in India last year, as demonstrated by their dominance of the rankings of the medium's top advertisers last year.

AdEx India, part of TAM Media Research, has reported that the number of spots shown in the Asian nation climbed 31% year-on-year in 2009.

Hindustan Unilever was responsible for more commercials than any other company, followed by Reckitt Benckiser, Coca-Cola and Cadbury.

ITC, the FMCG-to-hotels group, was the first domestic operator to make the list, in fifth position, with Bharti Airtel, the telecoms provider, in eighth.

GlaxoSmithkline, Procter & Gamble, PepsiCo and L'Oréal made up the top ten, showing the strength of the FMCG sector as a whole.

Ponds White Beauty, part of Hindustan Unilever's portfolio, was the new brand which received the highest amount of exposure via this medium over the last 12 months.

The food and beverage category generated 14% of all ads during this period, followed by personal care and hygiene products, on 11%.

Services was in third place, on 6%, with telecoms and internet service providers on 5%, the same figure as haircare products.

Automotive, financial services and personal accessories were all on 4%, with healthcare and household products on 3%.

Overall, these ten sectors took a 59% share of all TV advertising last year, with toilet soaps and mobile phones among the specific products receiving the most air time.

National channels broadcast 53% of all spots, with their regional counterparts accounting for the remaining 47%.

Data sourced from Indian Television; additional content by Warc staff