PARIS: Mediaedge:cia tops the rankings in the ninth annual Compitches Report, a survey by French media agency intelligence specialist RECMA of global new business wins. It analyses last year's 2,179 pitches and account moves between fourteen major media shops in fifteen nations.
Compitches also includes retentions and extensions of accounts by 205 agencies in those countries.
Methodology is based on a quality/quantity analysis of wins and losses, with each move classified by one of twelve possible reasons. Evaluation is graded by five ratings points, ranging from A+ to C.
Gradings are also aggregated as an indicator of competitiveness across the fifteen countries surveyed.
The 2007 rankings table above should be read in conjunction with the following notes:
- Some networks have not been rolled globally yet: from Vizeum (ten agencies) to Arena (two agencies).
- Survey leader Mediaedge:cia got 50% more points than sibling MindShare, ranked tenth: the differences between the networks are significant.
- With four global networks in the industry, GroupM/WPP gained 31% of total points awarded, leading Publicis (18%), Interpublic (15%), Omnicom (14%), Aegis (13%) and Havas (9%).
- Although the pitches and business moves are cyclical, competitiveness is constant. Averaged over four years (2004-2007) the best performers are Mediaedge:cia (average 370 points); MediaCom (315 points); ZenithOptimedia (310 points), followed by MindShare (309), Carat (308), Starcom MediaVest (307) and OMD (288).
- The USA represents 27% of all points awarded and Europe 46%. Excluding the USA, rankings differ globally across fourteen major nations: 1. OMD (277pts); 2. Mediaedge:cia (240); 3. MediaCom and ZenithOptimedia (each 231); and 5. Carat (227).
- Comparing 2007 and 2006, Mediaedge:cia and MediaCom are ranked second and third behind MindShare (354 pts); Carat was fourth in 2006 and seventh in 2007; conversely OMD was eighth in 2006 and fourth in 2007.
Data sourced from RECMA (France); additional content by WARC staff