NEW YORK: The number of cross-device video campaigns on one platform in the US rose sharply during the third quarter, a new report has claimed.

A study from video advertising platform Videology – Third Quarter US Video Market At-A-Glance – said that more than one third (35%) of all US online video ad campaigns on its platform ran on more than one screen during the quarter, which represented a 59% increase quarter-over-quarter.

In particular, the proportion of campaigns running together on PC and mobile devices increased from 17% in Q2 to 25% in Q3, and those on PC, mobile and connected TV doubled from 5% to 10%.

PC-only campaigns, however, continued to account for the bulk of online video at 60%, while mobile-only took 3% and connected TV-only 1%.

"It's clear that marketers see the value in using data to reach their consumers across the many screens they're interacting with each day," said Scott Ferber, Videology chairman and CEO.

"The growth in cross-screen campaigns validates this trend, and is further proof that advertisers are seeing enhanced performance in reaching consumers across multiple devices," he added.

Videology further reported that 91% of video campaigns had been bought in a guaranteed, TV-like fashion, with just 8% based on cost per action and 1% on dynamic CPM.

In addition, nearly two in five campaigns (39%) using third-party audience verification requested guaranteed delivery, the remaining 61% settling for optimised delivery.

And nearly two in three campaigns (64%) using advanced measurement surveyed consumers for real-time brand metrics to gauge their success. Sales data were used by 23% and cross-screen analysis by 11%.

Almost two thirds of ads (64%), said Videology, were of shorter 15-second spots and news sites were now the primary location for video advertising – their share had more than doubled over the past year, from 15% to 39%.

Entertainment sites were in second place, accounting for 36% of video ad impressions, followed by portals (12%), sports (3%) and women's sites (1%).

CPG was the leading vertical, taking 25% of all impressions running on the platform during the quarter, although its share was down 11 points as more categories started to use video.

Automotive was in second spot (17%), followed by restaurants (10%), financial services (8%), retail (7%), entertainment (7%) and travel (7%).

Data sourced from PR Newswire, Videology; additional content by Warc staff