Japanese ad giant Dentsu, the globe's fifth largest ad agency group (by 2002 revenues), is boosting its presence in India with a new joint venture.

The group has set up an agency in New Delhi called Dentsu Marcom, in which it will take a 74% stake. The remaining 26% will be held by local management consultancy Mogae Consultants.

Dentsu's operations in India -- considered a likely growth market -- have so far been limited to Dentsu Communications, a subsidiary launched four months ago in Bangalore, plus offices in New Delhi that dealt with local ad agencies.

The new shop bolsters the group's presence in northern India. Due to launch February 1, it will look both for local and multinational clients, but will principally target Japanese companies.

Data sourced from: AdAgeGlobal.com; additional content by WARC staff