Get a demo Do I subscribe? News sign-up
Print

Asian F&B video ads are too long

News, 19 December 2016
Topics

SINGAPORE: Southeast Asia's advertisers, particularly in the food and beverage category, are running online video ads which are too long to keep a viewer's interest, according to a new study.

Research by TubeMogul, the programmatic software company, found that completion rates for 30-second spots fell by more than 20% compared with shorter 15-second videos.

Southeast Asian marketers also lag behind their counterparts in the US, UK and Australia, who are moving toward shorter spots to capitalise on mobile-centric online video, Mumbrella reported.

The research specifically focused on food and beverage advertisers and found 94% in the region invest in 30-second spots, indicating that video creative in the region is still closely tied to the creative driving TV commercials.

"The dominance of 30-second creative is indicative of the tendency for advertisers to repurpose existing TVCs for use online," said Kenneth Chow, TubeMogul's Director of Client Services in Asia.

"As the market matures, we expect to see 15-second creative (and less) become more prevalent. Especially considering the difference in completion rate performance, which comprises the top two optimisation goals," he added.

According to Chow, this mindset should not be considered "best practice" for the region's marketers, particularly given the increasingly mobile-first nature of content consumption.

"With mobile such a personal device, consumers don't have the patience to sit through a 30-second ad and they avoid their data being eaten up by long spots that require large downloads," he said.

The data also revealed that completion and click rates are significantly higher on mobile compared to desktop – 74% to 63% and 2.1% to 1.5% respectively.

But more than half (55%) of F&B marketers in the region continue to serve ads exclusively on desktop ads, with the remaining 45% taking a cross-screen approach.

Data sourced from Mumbrella; additional content by Warc staff

Topics