SINGAPORE: Mobile advertising volumes are continuing to rise in Asia Pacific, as growing numbers of brand owners try and engage shoppers through this route.
InMobi, the mobile advertising network, estimated the amount of impressions registered across the region currently stands at 18bn a month, after expanding by 10% between January and April 2011.
The company's figures also suggest APAC accounts for around half of the global exposures recorded via this channel.
India claimed a 41.6% share of the Asian total, beating Indonesia, which secured 25.2% on this metric, and Vietnam, posting 9.1%.
Advanced feature phones retained a dominant position, supplying 76% of impressions, while smartphones took the remaining 24%.
However, the latter category witnessed a lift outpacing the sector as a whole, InMobi revealed.
Google's Android platform gained 4.3 points in share terms, to 9.5%, and was therefore responsible for 1.7bn exposures.
It thus leapfrogged Apple's iPhone OS for the first time, with these two offerings holding a combined 18.9% of the market, InMobi stated.
Despite being the overall leader, Nokia's operating system scores contracted by 1.9 points to 27.3%.
Covering all the handsets it makes, Nokia's proportion of the ad market came in at 49.9%, a 1.5 point decline at the end of April.
By contrast, Samsung saw an uptick of 2.6% from January to April, and now takes a 16.8% share.
More specifically, Nokia and Samsung handsets delivered 70% of the monitored ads during the entire assessment period.
"With improving smartphone adoption, faster networks and cheaper data plans, this is an extremely exciting time for marketers to successfully execute highly targeted, impactful, and measurable campaigns," Atul Satija, InMobi's managing director, Asia Pacific, said.
Data sourced from InMobi; additional content by Warc staff