NEW DELHI: Hindustan Unilever, Reckitt Benckiser and Cadbury were the advertisers which made the greatest use of television to reach Indian consumers last year, new figures show.
TAM Media Research, the monitoring company, reported that the volume of TV spots in the country over the course of 2010 rose 24% on an annual basis, a record expansion.
By sector, food and beverage brands took a 14% share, while personal care and hygiene claimed second on 13%.
The services industry was some way back, posting 6%, ahead of haircare's 5%.
Personal accessories, automotive and telcos/internet service providers took 4% each.
Banking and finance followed with 3%, matching household products and consumer healthcare.
Overall, this group accounted for 59% of television commercials last year, indicating a relatively long tail on such a metric.
In terms of specific categories, toilet soaps led, delivering 4% of ads, one percentage point in front of mobile phone services, government and social communications, and shampoos.
Corporate and brand image advertising, aerated soft drinks, fairness creams and wireless handsets all registered 2% apiece.
These ten segments contributed just 24% of the ads broadcast across the assessment period, TAM Media revealed.
Hindustan Unilever, the FMCG giant that owns leading products including Lipton, Pureit and Lifebuoy, supplied 8% of spots during this timeframe.
Reckitt Benckiser was second on 3%, with Cadbury third on 2%.
ITC constituted the highest-ranked domestic operator, equalling the scores of Cadbury, as well as Procter & Gamble and Coca-Cola.
Elsewhere, Colgate-Palmolive, Pond's - also part of Unilever's stable - SmithKline Beecham and L'Oréal each offered a further 1%.
Colgate Total Clean Mint was the new brand receiving the strongest level of exposure, beating Airtel 3G, Cadbury's Perk Glucose, L'Oréal Total Repair 5 and the Nokia 5233.
Knorr Soupy Noodles, from Nestle's portfolio, Lux Purple Lotus and Cream, Sure Dry Shield Deodorant, Superia Lemon Fresh and Coca-Cola's Minute Made Nimbu Fresh completed the ten most-publicised launches.
In a signifier of the changes impacting the broadcast market, 53% of TV commercials shown in 2010 were aired on regional channels, with their national counterparts responsible for the remaining 47%.
Data sourced from IndianTelevision.com; additional content by Warc staff