LONDON: A total of 16 campaigns have been shortlisted for the 2009 IPA Effectiveness Awards, with Morrisons, the supermarket chain, Knorr, the cookery and seasonings brand, and Halifax, the bank, all among the remaining competitors.
For the first time, the industry body's annual awards programme – which is open to UK agencies, media owners and clients – is restricted to campaigns with a budget of no more than £2.5 million ($4.1m; €2.9m) per year.
The British Heart Foundation had two entries on the shortlist, where it was joined by fellow public health-based organisation the Manchester Versus Cancer Alliance.
Knorr, FRijj and Nutella were the main representatives from the FMCG category, with UKTV featuring for the media sector, for communications related to its channels Eden and Blighty.
According to the IPA, the internet was the most frequently-used medium among the various efforts making the final round of judging, featuring in all but one case.
Print media was utilised in 12 separate instances, followed by online search, on ten, TV and PR, on nine, and direct mail, on eight, with the average campaign employing seven different channels.
Andy Nairn, planning director, Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy, and convenor of judges, said all of the remaining entrants "used their limited funds to great commercial effect, whether through TV programming or website redesign, online games or innovative promotional mechanics."
For further information on the IPA Effectiveness Awards – all the entries to which will be published in full on WARC in November – and summaries of all the shortlisted papers, click here.
The shortlist in full is as follows:
- British Heart Foundation by Grey London for "Watch your own heart attack"
- British Heart Foundation by Grey London for "Yoobot"
- Cycling Safety by WCRS
- 'Don't be a Cancer Chancer' (Manchester Versus Cancer Alliance in partnership with Ashton Leigh & Wigan PCT) by McCann Erickson Communications House (Manchester)
- FRijj by Grey London
- ghd by TBWA\Manchester
- Halifax by Delaney Lund Knox Warren & Partners
- Knorr by JWT
- London Business School by Serious Ideas
- Maximuscle by Total Media and Maximuscle
- Morrisons by Mediaedge:cia
- Nutella by Krow Communications
- Resolva 24H by TBWA\Manchester
- Slendertone by Publicis
- Swinton Taxi Division by Red C
- UKTV by UKTV and Red Bee Media
Data sourced from IPA; additional content by WARC staff