Sandwiched alliteratively between the Dirty Dozen and the Seven Samurai are the Hyundai Hopefuls: ten agencies contesting for the Korean carmaker’s $160 million US account – which, insiders say, could be extended to a global remit.
Whittled from the twenty shops originally named by Hyundai, ten have survived into the deca-finals. They are:
• Campbell Mithun, Minneapolis
• FCB West, San Francisco and Irvine, California
• Grey Worldwide, Los Angeles
• Hill Holliday Connors Cosmopulos, San Francisco
• Publicis West, Seattle
• Publicis & Hal Riney, San Francisco
• Richards Group, Dallas
• Wieden + Kennedy, Portland, Oregon
• Bates West, Irvine, California
• An undisclosed agency.
None of the contestants were prepared to comment on the tourney, which will be slimmed to just three or four finalists. A decision is expected by the end of April.
Data sourced from: AdAge.com; additional content by WARC staff