Act now to get ahead

Gary Elliott
HP

Technology enables the acceleration of change. As marketers, we are pioneering the transformation of information and content from analog to digital form, where that data can be freely accessed, repurposed, and distributed more widely and with more speed than ever before.

Only 5 percent of the world's data is digital; the remaining 95 percent will be digitized in conjunction with the data we are creating. Estimates suggest that this new data will double the world's existing information within the next 18 months.

A decade ago, content arrived in big building blocks delivered by large distributors. A small number of companies controlled content development and its distribution channels. Until a decade ago, studios principally dealt with two variations of theatrical releases (film going to VHS). Large media companies now deal with more than 4,800 possibilities of how content can be shaped and delivered to customers.