Exploiting winning partnerships for women's magazines
David Shields, National Magazine Company, outlines the benefits of franchising media brands - for publishers, suppliers and readers
My mission is to shed some light on the rationale for, and benefits of, brand licensing in the context of women's magazines. In order to do so, let us first consider what branding means: this is basic, but important.
The aim of branding
It seems that the purpose of branding is to achieve positive distinction among those who are, or whom we wish to be, customers and, indeed, those who influence them.
I think that there is or should be a 'branding sequence' that works like this:
- branding implies identification
- identification implies recognition
- recognition implies awareness
- awareness implies knowledge
- knowledge implies confidence
- confidence implies esteem
- esteem implies value.