Is Consumer Marketing Irrevocably Broken?
What is a successful marketing campaign? When it comes to direct marketing, these days most organisations seem happy to achieve a response rate of 1%. Yet that response and the potential conversion rate masks the true picture: a picture few in marketing care to consider, let alone admit. If 1% respond to the campaign, what was its effect on the other 99%? Were another 1%, 2% or 3% so fed up with receiving yet another irrelevant message that they have gone elsewhere? Who knows who measures?
Of course, such measurement is complex. Customer churn or migration in value cannot be attributed to one single factor. But every customer interaction from marketing materials and promotions to customer service at the call centre has an effect. Measuring DM or any marketing activity in isolation will never provide an accurate picture of customer response.
What else does this article talk about?
- Direct mail
- Direct mail
- Customer relationship management
- Direct planning & buying
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.