The Marketer’s Dilemma: Focusing on a Target or a Demographic? The Utility of Data-Integration Techniques
- Current media buying is still primarily based on demographics.
- Because certain television programs are better than others at reaching a brand's marketing target, yet are priced similarly, there is an opportunity to improve the media buy with better program selection.
- Data integration techniques can improve the overall efficiency of media plans by providing a direct linkage to these programs.
- These techniques come in several forms including direct matching, data fusion, and segmentation.
- Experience has shown that the amount of the improvement in efficiency ranges from 10–25 percent and depends on the category vertical.