Purex: The Art of Shopper Marketing: Purex's Shock and Awe at Walmart
Category: SME-Manufacturer: Single-Retailer Rollout
Brand/Client: Purex / Henkel
Lead Agency: Zooka Creative
Contributing Agencies: Energy BBDO
Our challenge was to inspire Walmart shoppers to try a new premium priced fabric enhancer in an unfamiliar form under a brand name known historically for value laundry detergents.
In addition to the normal challenges of any new product launch, Purex Crystals had these 6 key difficulties…
- The mature, fabric softener category was in steep decline due to the recession.
- The Purex brand was known as a value detergent brand with no material equity in fabric softeners.
- The number of premium fabric softener buyers was disproportionally lower at Walmart compared to the category average.
- Purex Crystals came in a new, unique form, which was unfamiliar to U.S. consumers.
- The product would be priced at a premium to even Downy's products.
- Shoppers were "somewhat satisfied" with their current fabric softeners.