American Express Open: Small business gets an official day
Digitas/Crispin Porter + Bogusky New York
Advertiser: American Express
Brand: American Express Open
In just three years, a single annual event has helped to transform the way America thinks about small businesses: Small Business Saturday® . A new, designated holiday between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, dedicated to helping small businesses.
It started as a single-day event, but before long it took on a life of its own and has become a movement in the truest sense. We helped it accomplish that by sticking to a simple, inspiring creative message, enabling businesses and customers to own the day and own the spirit behind it.
Our 2011 mission was simple — to surpass our 2010 Benchmarks, which were as follows:
- Facebook likes: 1.2 million in three weeks
- Twitter: nearly 30,000 tweets were sent using #SmallBusinessSaturday and #SmallBizSaturday
- 300,000 consumers registered their American Express Cards to receive a $25 credit when they shopped at a small business on the day
- 100,000 small business owners downloaded the Small Business Saturday toolkit with point of purchase and promotional materials
- 10,000 small business owners signed up to receive free advertising on Facebook
- 2500 publications mentioned Small Business Saturday
- 37% of Americans were aware of the day