Global mobile adspend is expected to grow to $36.9 billion by 2016, a fourfold increase from $8.4 billion in 2012, according to eMarketer. Nielsen data shows that a majority of users in key markets saw mobile ads every day in 2012; the highest proportion in South Korea, with 78%. Only in India did most users see ads less frequently, with 39% receiving them at least once a week. Mobile apps are among the most popular forms of ads, reaching 38% of users in China, 27% in the UK and 24% in the US. According to Google, media and entertainment accounted for 34% of all mobile app adspend in 2012, and drew 28% of all impressions; technology was second, with 19% of impressions from 18% of spending.
Download a full PowerPoint presentation of these charts.
How often ads are received on mobile phones
Among smartphone owners who have received ads
Source: Nielsen, The Mobile Consumer: A Global Snapshot, February 2013
What else does this article talk about?
- Advertising expenditure & forecasts
- Mobile marketing, mobile web
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.