A framework for designing new products and services
Technical University of Catalonia
A company designs its products and services to distinguish them from competitors’ offerings as well as to conform to changing customer tastes and to meet legal requirements. Teams of people from diverse backgrounds (such as marketing, operations, consumer groups and supplier goods) are brought together to design new services. Marriott, for example, successfully used the project team approach to design its line of economy hotels (Murdick et al. 1990). Studies in the management of technology suggest that cooperation and communication among marketing, manufacturing, engineering and R&D leads to greater new product success and higher product profitability (Griffin & Hauser 1992). This is because specialists in each of these fields provide knowledge about the dimensions of attributes that configure a product: engineers have knowledge about usability, designers about style and marketing professionals about symbolism (Rafaelli & Vilnai-Yavez 2004).
What else does this article talk about?
- Data analysis
- Customer relationship management
- Educational, universities
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.