Cunard Line: Can You Wait?
Brand Name: Cunard Line
Product Type or Description: Cruise Line
Category for this Entry: Travel/Tourism/Destination
Campaign Title: Can You Wait?
Agency: TBWA\Chiat\Day New York
Client: Cunard Line
Launching a cruise
liner at the worst possible time
Cunard's newest ocean liner, Queen Mary 2, is launching in January 2004, taking over the transatlantic route from the legendary QE2. Upon her maiden voyage, the ship will be the largest, grandest, and most expensive ever built. HOWEVER, this is against a backdrop of chronic over-capacity in the cruise industry, a situation worsened by blight in travel and tourism generally because of the economy and the threat of terrorism. With airlines going bankrupt and hotels giving away free rooms, it's no surprise that cruise prices are at an all-time low.  In 2001, fares declined 4% and in 2002, by another 20%.  Consumers have learned to wait as long as possible before booking because cruise lines will cut prices to fill their ships. Communication is all about 'deals', making it tough to command premium prices bad for a company who will not discount the pride of their fleet.
What else does this article talk about?
- Rail, coach, boat & car rental
- Travel agents, tour operators
- Luxury travel
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.