In 2012, online adspend grew by 11.5% across Europe. The most popular online ad format was search, taking 48.8% of all expenditure, followed by display on 32.4%. Online video as a share of online display took its highest proportion in Slovenia, with 31.6%, the next highest percentage for online video was in Italy, at 20%. Norway had the highest per capita online adspend, at €117.4. Next was Denmark, on €93.8, and the UK, on €93.4. The European average was €30.1. The UK had the highest total online spending in Europe, at €6,642 million in 2012, an increase of €1,132 million from 2011. In the US, the share of formats in online spend was similar to that in Europe, with search taking 46%, followed by display/banner at 20%.
Download a full PowerPoint presentation of these charts.
Video as a share of online display
Share of video advertising (%) within online display advertising, top seven European countries
Source: AB Adex Benchmark 2012, European Online Advertising Expenditure
What else does this article talk about?
- Advertising expenditure & forecasts
- Digital media research
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.