Market research has emerged as one of the top ten growth industries in the UK.
Figures from the Office for National Statistics, for the decade between 1992 and 2003, show how traditional manufacturing industries and agriculture have declined in value in the face of computing and finance.
The ONS report, UK Input-Output Analyses 2005, tracks the movement of goods and services throughout the economy.
The top ten growth sectors are as follows:
Computer and related services
- Other business services (including employment agencies, security, industrial cleaning and call centres)
- Insurance and pension funds
- Recreational and sporting activities
- Owning and dealing in real estate
- Letting of dwellings
- Market research, management consultancy etc
- Hotels, catering, pubs
- Retail distribution.
More details of the report are online at www.statistics.gov.uk
Data sourced from MrWeb.com (UK); additional content by WARC staff